Barcelona, Pasajes, Santander
Time of Shipment
Container (34-41 Days)
Left-Hand Drive Vehicles:
Importation of left hand drive vehicles is permitted in Spain.
Documents required for port clearance in Spain:
1. Original Certificate of Title and Registration
2. Original Commercial/Purchase Invoice
3. Copy of Passport
4. Identification Card “Documento Nacional de Identidad”
5. Drivers License & International Insurance Policy (green card)
6. Liability Insurance – current policy at origin
7. Valid plates
Additional documents for permanent import:
1. Change of Residence Certificate – for returning Spanish nationals
2. Residence Permit – for foreigners
3. Certificate of CIF value of vehicle in Spain
It is important for the vehicle to pass the Spanish inspeccion tecnica de vehiculos (ITV) test in order to receive permanent registration number. If a vehicle fails the test, necessary repairs must be done on the vehicle within two months of the test. If the vehicle is not tested again during the two month period, then the vehicle may get deregistered.
In case of classic cars, there is a special test required as well as a certificate of authenticity to be issued by the regional authorities (comunidad autonoma)
Taxes and Duties:
The following taxes are implemented on the used vehicles:
• VAT: 16% on cars imported from outside the EU.
• Registration Tax :-
i. Petrol engine vehicles with capacity over 1,600 cc, four-wheel drive vehicles and diesel engine vehicles over 2,000 cc- 12%
ii. Vehicles with smaller engines-7%
Residents coming to live in Spain permanently and have owned the vehicle for minimum period of six months and have previously paid VAT are exempted from duties. Application for exemption must be made within the month of the date of issue of residence permit. Importers should present a certificate of non-residence from their previous country.
• Import Duty: 10% on vehicles imported outside the EU, unless the importer is a resident.
Vehicle registration in Spain:
Once the vehicle passes the customs, it should get registered at the nearest provisional traffic department (Jefatura Provincial de Trafico), which will first issue you a temporary license plate. These plates are valid for limited period of days, generally 10 days. For vehicle registration, following documents are required :
• Original and copy of passport.
• Residence proof plus original NIE number certificate
• Original vehicle registration and proof of ownership
• Proof of Spanish motor vehicle liability insurance (seguro de vehiculos)
• Proof of payment of road tax (Impuesto sobre Vehiculos de Traccion Mecanica)
• Proof of technical vehicle inspection
• EC certificate of conformity or homologacion